Closing date: Fri Dec 20th
Location: London E8
Salary: £24,000- £27,500 PA Pro-rota
Sector: Social Work
About this job
We are looking for someone who has a Social Work degree or NVQ Level 4
qualification or equivalent in Childcare/Child related studies and who is going to
contribute positively to the work we do and the environment we’ve created. A can-do
attitude and flexible approach goes a long way with us, especially when
accompanied by a smile.
1. To supervise contact between children who are subject to Local Authority
Care and their family.
2. To manage the contact and intervene where necessary to safeguard the
wellbeing of those present at all times.
3. To provide an articulate and accurate recording of your observations within
the set timescales.
4. Where necessary escort children to/ from the contact venue
You are required to:
- Know the details of the family and all risk assessments before the start of contact.
It is your responsibility to ensure you have the information if this has not already
- Arrive and be available approximately 10 minutes prior to the session beginning
to observe the family meeting/ greeting
- There are often last minute changes due to client non-attendance. Where this
occurs where possible you will be moved onto another families session and
therefore adaptability is required
- Contacts can be centre or community based. You also might be required to
facilitate contact in an agency centre
- Where possible ensure appropriate activities are available during contact
- Facilitate the interaction between adults and children involved in contact to
ensure the conditions or restrictions are adhered to
- Ensure that contact is child focussed at all times
- Observe all interaction and where appropriate start your recording, which should
be completed immediately after the contact (where this is not possible the
recording should be completed and sent within the agreed timescales)
- Reports are to be submitted onto CIS within 36 hours of contact
- Liaise with the management team at the earliest opportunity, should any
concerns arise during the contact
- Be prepared to attend court as a witness where required
- Be responsible for the management of any expenses incurred
Where two supervisors are involved, and you are the ‘lead supervisor’, you are
additionally required to:
- Liaise with and direct the second worker as necessary
Where two supervisors are involved and you are the ‘second supervisor’ you are
- Support the lead supervisor as directed to manage the contact and follow all of
the above requirements
The service we provide supports vulnerable children and young people to maintain
relationships with family members they do not live with. The Contact Workers’ role is
to facilitate and supervise family contacts to ensure the safety of children whilst
promoting positive interactions and experiences. Observations and interactions
during supervised contacts are documented and used to support and inform Social
Workers’ care plans and can be used as evidence in court.
We are looking for a self - starter who has experience of working with children and
families, as well as experience of supervising contact. You will possess the ability to
be an effective communicator, both verbally and in writing, to provide timely and
accurate reports focusing on the quality of the contact in order to aid child protection
and care proceeding decision-making processes.
You should be able to recognise the importance of effective teamwork, use your own
initiative and take responsibility where appropriate. It is important that you provide a
safe and nurturing environment for children who require supervised or supported
contact with their families. This includes parents whose children are ‘Looked After’,
by the Local Authority and parents who are undergoing a divorce or separation.
(Many of our contacts occur after school, so ideally it would be an advantage if you
are available during the hours of 15.00-18.00.) Contacts can be located in the
community or at alternative centres.
This post is exempt under the provisions of the Rehabilitations of Offenders Act
(Exceptions) Order 1975 and an Enhanced Disclosure and Barring Service check
will be untaken on the successful candidate.
We are looking for people who are going to contribute positively to the work we do
and the environment we’ve created. A can-do attitude and flexible approach go a
long way with us, especially when accompanied by a smile.
If you have the required qualifications and experience and feel you can further
promote our Company values, we would love to hear from you!
To apply please upload your CV.
Register your interest
Register interest with our Hackney Works team who will link you to the employer & partners.
This service is for Hackney residents but if any of the following apply to you then please call 020 8356 5700
- You are being housed in Hackney Council temporary accommodation outside the borough.
- You have Hackney Council as a corporate parent, i.e. you are or were in care.
- Went to Hackney school or college