Changes to Hackney Works Services during Covid-19
The Hackney Works offices are closed - we will keep these web pages updated with job/training information. Our employment advisors are providing telephone support, however, please bear with us – our priority is to support vulnerable clients, those facing a redundancy situation and those interested in volunteering/jobs/careers in key worker roles.
Closing date: Sun Sep 7th 2025
Location: Docklands, Stratford & Wapping
Salary: £7.83 - £8.50 Per Hour
Contract: Full time
Sector: Health Care
About this job
Care and support:
- Give non-discriminatory care and support that values the diverse and unique qualities of each customer.
- See the whole person and not merely a list of care needs.
- Carefully listen and observe how customers prefer their care and support to be delivered on a day to day basis.
- Help them make their own decisions and to be as independent as possible.
- Follow instructions in the care and support plan which has been agreed with each customer.
This may include:
- All aspects of personal care
- Showering and bathing
- Dressing and grooming
- Toileting and continence care
- Teeth and dentures
- Taking medicines
- Encouraging, reminding; assisting and giving medicines
- Ordering and collecting prescriptions
- Returning unwanted medicines to the pharmacy for safe disposal
Eating and drinking:
- Helping the customer to plan what to eat and drink
- Gentle encouragement and help to eat and drink well
- Shopping, preparing and serving food and drinks
- Clearing the table, washing up and keeping the kitchen area clean and tidy;
- Agreeing with the customer how to store food safely and dispose of out of date produce
Safely using aids and personal equipment in a manner that respects the dignity of customers:
- Standing and walking frames
- Wheelchairs, manual and electric hoists
- Sliding sheets and moving boards
- Hearing aids and other physical aids
- Washing floors, vacuuming and sweeping
- Laundry and ironing, making beds and changing the linen
- Dusting and general tidying
Social and physical activities or mental stimulation:
- Answering the door and greeting visitors
- Answering emergency bells and the telephone
- Writing cards and letters or emails
- Taking a customer out shopping, to see their friends or to other activities
- Hobbies and recreations such as reading, photo albums, games, etc
Supporting a customer through temporary and terminal illness:
- End of life care
- Hospital appointments
- Liaising with community health support and families
Recording and reporting:
- Record and report all relevant customer information including:
- The care and support that you provide and assistance with medicines
- Changes to a customer’s condition or other concerns
- Faulty equipment or hazards in the home
- Response to emergencies, accidents and incidents
- Safeguarding matters
- Contact with families or carers and other professionals
- Other matters as required by Bluebird Care procedures
- Keep all information about customers and their families secure and confidential
Work well as part of the Bluebird Care team:
- Follow Bluebird Care policies, procedures and guidance at all times
- Take part in staff and customer meetings
- Attend training activities and appraisal and development meetings
This list is not exhaustive and from time to time you may be required to undertake additional duties. We will provide full training in line with regulatory requirements.
- Caring and compassionate towards people in need of care and support
- Respect for people suffering from a range of medical conditions with different backgrounds and beliefs to your own.
- Commitment to non-discriminatory care practice
- Self-motivated and keen to learn.
- Willing to seek guidance when needed and follow instructions
- Excellent time keeper and reliable
- Good hygiene practice, including personal hygiene, and a smart appearance
- Good stamina and a level of fitness to meet the physical demands of the job
Knowledge and understanding
- General understanding of the needs of people who require care and support
- Respect for the rights of our customers.
- Understanding the importance of giving the best possible care and support centred on the individual needs and wishes of each customer
- Understanding of why confidentiality is important and what this means as a care worker
Experience and skills
- Ability to listen, communicate clearly and build positive working relationships with customers, their families, Bluebird Care staff and other social and health care professionals
- Ability to give care and support to customers with aspects of their daily living in a manner that respects their dignity, is non- judgmental and promotes their independence, choices and privacy
- Good organisational skills, so customers receive the services they expect
- Ability to use own initiative and work alone or as part of a team especially in an emergency
- Numerical skills to support customers in managing their money and buying shopping or paying bills when requested to do so Ability to keep written records in clear English about the care and support given to each customer, including help with medicines Ability and willingness to follow Bluebird Care’s policies, procedures and instructions
- Commitment to respecting customers’ rights at all times including their rights to privacy, dignity and independence
- Willingness to undertake training.
- All staff are expected to meet regulatory training standards
- This role will require you to obtain an Enhanced satisfactory clearance from the Disclosure and Barring Service formally known as the Criminal Records Bureau (CRB) Disclosure
- Class 1 business insurance, with no more than 6 points (if using own car for business purposes)
- NVQ/QCF Level 2 or equivalent
- Previous experience as a care worker or as an unpaid carer
- Knowledge of how to recognise abuse and safeguarding procedures
- Working knowledge of health and safety matters relating to home care
- Flexible approach to working Full drivers licence – no more than 6 points
For more information on How to become a HealthCare Assistant, Job Roles, Requirements and Vacancies please visit our careers page on our website: http://www.bluebirdcare.co.uk/greenwich/careers/job-roles
Register your interest
Register interest with our Hackney Works team who will link you to the employer & partners.
This service is for Hackney residents but if any of the following apply to you then please call 020 8356 5700
- You are being housed in Hackney Council temporary accommodation outside the borough.
- You have Hackney Council as a corporate parent, i.e. you are or were in care.
- Went to Hackney school or college